Maulana Azad Medical College About
The Maulana Azad Medical College is situated in the capital city of Delhi. It straddles the historic old city of Delhi on one side and the more modern Lutyen’s Delhi on the other. The sprawling campus includes the college and three of its major associated hospitals namely Lok Nayak Hospital and GB Pant Hospital and the Guru Nanak Eye Centre. This institution is named after the great patriot and educationist, Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad and has been in existence since 1959.
The primary aim of this institution is to produce competent basic doctors, specialists, and super specialists. It has endeavored to promote all facilities conducive to learning and furtherance of knowledge by:
- Contribution towards national health care delivery system by providing efficient and expert medical services through the associated hospitals.
- Establishing routine and specialized laboratories of excellence and other investigative facilities.
- Pursuance of objectives of medical education by improving the course contents, continuing education and strengthening of research activities.
- Extending medical support to the local authorities for health care programmes.
- Extending health care facilities to above 1,00,000 rural urban population of Delhi through its organized centers in the community.
All faculty members are provided with internet facility. Many Departments have been provided with computerized diagnostic equipment facilities. This will help to enhance efficiency, speed up the work and aid in research activities. Internet facility has been installed at Library, Department of Continuing Medical Education and office of the Dean. The closed users group (CUG) scheme was launched in 2008 at MAMC and associated Lok Nayak Hospital and G.B. Pant Hospital under the aegis of the Department of Telecommunication, Government of NCT Delhi with the objective of improving patients care and facilitating effective linkages and communication between health care personnel and administration. It is one of the key 0 initiatives of MAMC in the year 2011-2012 which received a wide appreciation among the users.
Maulana Azad Medical College Undergraduate course
T he institution offers MBBS course at the undergraduate level. It admits 250 students for the MBBS course annually.
M.B.B.S. COURSE – 250 students are admitted annually. The distribution of seats is as per Delhi University Norms.
15% of total seats are filled in through the entrance examination conducted by the C.B.S.E. on All India basis.
85% of total seats are filled in through the Delhi University Norms.
6 seats are reserved for Government of India nominees.
Duration: 5½ years (including one year of internship)
COURSES OF STUDIES
The course of study for MBBS degree and all related examinations will be according to rules and regulations of Delhi University.
Students after passing the Final MBBS examination must register themselves provisionally with the Delhi Medical Council before they can be permitted to join the compulsory internship programme, as required under Medical Council Act.
COMPULSORY HINDI TEST
All students are required to pass an examination in Hindi at the end of the first or second year of MBBS Course if he/she has not passed Hindi at the VlII standard (Minimum), unless he/she has been exempted by the Delhi University. Adequate arrangements for preparing the students for this examination are available at the Institution.
GENERAL INFORMATION (Undergraduate Courses) :
Students admitted to Ist MBBS must join their classes on Ist August or any other date fixed by the University.
- If a candidate fails to join or leaves the College after admission, the fees so paid shall not normally be refunded except where the candidate proves to the satisfaction of the Dean that failure to join or leave the course was due to the reasons beyond his/her control.
- All newly admitted students will have to deposit the tuition fee alongwith other charges within the dates prescribed in the letter of the admission issued by the University of Delhi
- All the other students of the College should deposit the fees by 31st July of the year failing which they shall deposit their fees with fine of Rs. 25/- per day w.e.f. Ist August of that year till the end of June next year. After that the name of the student shall be struck-off from the College rolls on Ist July. Such students may, however, be allowed to re-join with the permission of the Dean onpayment of Rs. 1000/- per month as re-admission fees from the date his/her name struck-off from the College rolls. In addition to the total amount of penality for late fees @ Rs. 25/- per day for the period from 1st August of that year till the end of June next year.
- All applications for leave must be made in writing to the Dean. However, there is no provision for any kind of leave (including Medical Leave) and every student is required to complete the percentage of attendance as prescribed by University of Delhi.
- Every student admitted to the College must maintain discipline and follow the rules and regulations in the College, Hospital, Hostels as well as in and around the campus failing which the Dean reserves the right to expel him/her from the Institute or to make him/her to vacate the hostel, if he/she is a hosteler, without assigning any reason.
- The classes will commence from 8.00 A.M. Students posted on emergency duties will, however, continue to work even after regular classes, if required.
- Interns are entitled to avail 12 days leave during the period of internship. No other type of leave (including leave on medical grounds) is permissible. The interns should, therefore, preserve leave for any contingency that may arise during subsequent part of their training.
- Not more than 6 days leave will normally be permissible to interns in a department where posting is for two months and not more than 4 days leave in a department where the posting is for one month and not more than 2 days leave in 15 days posting will be granted.
- Most of the decision/notices/advertisements are displayed on Notice Boards and announced through Class Incharges. Students should watch the Notice Boards regularly. Failure to do so will not be an excuse.
- The student should always keep the Identity card with him/her and show the same to the faculty/ staff members as and when demanded. Noncompliance will lead to disciplinary action.
- Ragging in any form inside/outside the Campus is strictly prohibited. Violation of this rule will make the student liable to disciplinary action and even expulsion from the College/Hostel or both. Victims of ragging should immediately approach any faculty/staff member and seek his/her intervention.
Maulana Azad Medical College postgraduate course
The institution offers postgraduate degrees and diplomas in a variety of medical specialties. A total of 67 seats are available for MD, 25 for MS, and 25 for post graduate diploma courses.
The details of courses offered are:
- Anaesthesia (6)
- Biochemistry including M. Sc. (2)
- Dermatology including Venerology (3)
- Forensic Medicine (2)
- Medicine (13)
- Microbiology (4)
- Obstt.and Gynaecology (8)
- Pathology (4)
- Paediatrics (10)
- Pharmacology (2)
- Physiology (2)
- Community Medicine (2)
- Psychiatry (2)
- Radio-Diagnosis (3)
- Radio-Therapy (2),
- Anatomy (3)
- E.N.T. (3)
- Orthopaedics (4)
- Ophthalmology (7)
- Surgery (8)
Post Graduate Diploma Courses (M.A.M.C)
- D.A. (8)
- D. C.H. (5)
- D.M.R.D. (2)
- D.O. (4)
- D.L.O. (1)
- D.V.D. (1)
DURATION OF COURSE:
- MD/MS Courses : 3 years
- Diploma Courses : 2 years
Post-Graduate Diploma in Geriatric Medicine (PGDGM)
Maulana Azad Medical College is the programme study center for PGDGM Course of Indira Gandhi National Open University. MBBS doctors are eligible for this course of one year duration.The course is not recognized by Medical Council of India. The advertisement for admission appears in the month of June and the course starts from 1st January every year. Dr. G.K. Ingle, Prof. & Head of Deptt. of Community Medicine may be contacted for further information.
Post-Graduate Diploma in Maternity and Child Health (PGDMCH)
Maulana Azad Medical College is a Programme Study Centre for PGDMCH Course of Indira Gandhi National Open University. Dr. S. Batra, Director Prof. & Head of Obst. & Gynae is Programme Study Center Incharge.
Post-Graduate Fellowship in HIV/AIDS Medicine
From 2006, the College is conducting one year Post Graduate Fellowship in HIV/AIDS Medicine. MBBS doctors can seek admission for the course. The coordinators for the course are Dr. S. Garg & Prof. Dr. V.K.Gupta of Community Medicine.
Associate Fellowship in Industrial Health
MInterested candidates may contact Center for Occupational Health & Environment Medicine near B.L. Taneja Block, MAMC
POSTGRADUATE ADMISSION PROCEDURE
The admission to postgraduate courses are made through the following examination:
- 25% of seats are filled in through the All India PG Entrance Examination.
- 75% of seats are filled through the PG Entrance Exam conducted by the University of Delhi.
Maulana Azad Medical College Post Doctoral courses
The institution offers post doctoral courses in 7 super-specialties and admits 24 students each year to these specialties.
- D.M. (Cardiology)(5)
- D.M. (Neurology)(4)
- M. Ch.Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery (4)
- D.M. Gastroenterology (3)
- M. Ch. Neuro -Surgery (4)
- M.Ch. Gastrointestinal Surgery (2)
- M. Ch. : Paediatrics Surgery (2)
Duration: 3 years
POST DOCTORAL ADMISSION PROCEDURE
The admission to postdoctoral courses are made through the entrance examination conducted by the University of Delhi.