Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital


Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital

Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital

Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital About

Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital is an institution with attached hospital functioning under the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi. NHMC&H is located in Defence Colony in New Delhi and provides homoeopathic medical education and health facilities.

Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital

Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital

Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital is one of the premier and reputed homoeopathic colleges of India. The institution was founded by Late Padama Bhushan Awardee Dr. Yudhvir Singh, a great freedom fighter, social worker and pioneer Homoeopath of India. The foundation stone of the college building was laid by the then Hon’ble Dr. Sushila Nayyar, Minister of Health and Family Welfare on August 22nd, 1963. The OPD wing was inaugurated by the then Hon’ble Prime Minister, late Sh. Lal Bahadur Shastri on May 6, 1964 and 100 bedded IPD Services were started on 27th Feb. 1980 by the then Municipal Councillor, Sh.Kedarnath Sahani. The journey of the college started with the excellence of Dr.Jugal Kishore, Founder Director of the college. Previous principals of the college have been Dr.B.K.Bhatnagar (1 September 1967 to 24 April 1975), Dr.D.P.Rastogi (25 April 1975 to 15 April 1984), Dr.V.K.Gupta (16 April 1984 to 31 March 1995) and Dr.V.K.Khanna(1 April 1995 to till 31 July 2007). Dr. (Mrs.) Anil K Malhotra (August, 2007 to July, 2013). At present the Principal is Dr. Surender Verma who is also Deputy Director (Homoeopathy).

Classes in the college were started from 1967 for DHMS Course, upgraded to BHMS course under Board of Homoeopathic System of Medicine. On 1st September 1972 this institution was handed over by Dr. Yudhvir Singh Charitable Trust to Delhi Administration. The college is affiliated to University of Delhi for award of B. H. M. S. Degree since 1992. The institution has commenced the Postgraduate Degree Course affiliated to University of Delhi with effect from 2009.

FOUNDER OF THE INSTITUTION

Dr Yudhvir Singh

In a time when people used to think before dreaming big, Dr. Yudhvir Singh not only achieved his goal of trating a Homoeopathic Charitable Trust for the welfare of the weaker section but also went on to become the first Health Minister of India. He not only started practising Homoeopathy at the age of 23 but also joined the freedom movement and fought for the rights of Indians.

Dr. Yudhvir Singh was also the first Indian to become the President of the Municipal Committee, where he removed corruption, improved sanitation and helped stop cow-slaughtering in Delhi. In 1952, Dr. Yudhvir Singh was elected as member of the newly formed legislative assembly and become the first Health Minister of Delhi. In 1928, homoeopathic charitable trust in his name was started which is now running 12 charitable dispensaries. He was the President of Delhi Homoeopathic Board, Member of CCH. He was the President of All India Homoeopathic Association, Chairman of reception committee of International Homoeopathic Congress where he occupied a central figure not only in Delhi but also at international level in the field of Homoeopathy. Further he went on to start the Delhi Public Library, he also became President of Delhi Nashabandi Samiti and chairman of Hind Kusht Nivaran Sangh. For the immense work he did he was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1977.

He lived a life inspired by Mahatma Gandhi, he worked for the betterment of people and on 18th June, 1983 he left for his heavenly abode.

Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital Undergraduate Courses

  • B.H.M.S.